Delicious breakfast: Pumpkin Oatmeal

I love oatmeal for breakfast and I always like to try new variations. I made some delicious pumpkin oatmeal for breakfast today (even my husband ate it), and the best part is that it's so simple!:

*2 cups water

*2 cups milk (whatever kind of milk, almond, soy, cow, or you can use water)

*2 cups oats (can use 1 minute, 10 minute, old fashioned would probably work as well just have to cook them longer)

*1 tsp of cinnamon

*1 tsp of nutmeg (can also add just a tsp of pumpkin spice blend or add in cloves or ground cardamom too I just don't have any right now)

*14 ounces of pumpkin puree

salt to taste

Just add the pumpkin, milk, spices and water to a pot and heat over medium high until just about at a boil. Then add the oats and lower the heat to keep it simmering. Cook until the oats are soft (this time will vary based on the oats, but probably like 5-10 minutes) and it becomes thick. Should make about 5.5 cups. I added 1 tablespoon of brown sugar to 1 cup of oatmeal, and that comes out to about 260 calories. Maple syrup or honey would also work to give it a little sweetness.

You could definitely take it up a notch if you add in some toasted pecans or walnuts or pumpkin seeds to give it some crunch, I just don't have any on hand today. Raisins would also be good!

It tastes super indulgent for something so low calorie. It's also great for meal prep because you can just portion it out into jars and add your sweetener on the top then microwave another day. Mmmm.

If you all have any other favorite oatmeal variations please share!