Stretching

Hi all!

If you don’t mind random discussions just for the sake of it, I’d love to hear your thoughts on the following:

1. What is your favorite stretch?

Mine is the plain ole standing toe touch. A close second is child pose, I could almost fall asleep in that :)

2. Do you have areas that always feel tight (regardless of what body-focus workout you did that day or the previous). What are they? Does it bother you or you consider it normal? Is there anything to do about it other than stretch more often and longer?

Mine are hamstrings and chest.

3. The opposite – is there a stretch that does absolutely nothing for you? No matter how deep you get into it or try to search for the spot, you never feel it stretches anything?

For me it’s the one in the picture. The countless times I’ve tried it, never felt anything and have no idea why.

4. Do you add stretches after FB workouts (more than what is already included)? How often and how? Add another stretching video (FB or not FB)? Improvise without any video?

I almost always do my own stretching sequence comprised of favorite FB stretches I learned over the years. It started spontaneously but became like an obsession, now I can’t call it workoutcomplete until I stretch everything and always in the same memorized order. Which leads me to question number…

5. Do you think the same rule “switch your workout routine often so your body doesn’t get too used to it and stays challenged” applies to stretching too?

I kind of don’t think it does (beacause I feel them doing their job every time and I guess the range of motion increases over time and keeps it challenging), but am open to changing my mind :)

6. Do you use any devices/aids/whatsitcalled like foam rollers, lacrosse balls and such? Is that also stretching or massaging or something else? What are your favorite sources for learning their usage? When to do it? Before the workout, after the workout, at a different time of the day, on rest days?

I don’t have a foam roller yet but I started exploring with lacrosse balls and I’m amazed by finding a spot, pressing it, and feeling like it’s a 1000 years old and has been sleeping or frozen for the entire time and then you wake up the mammoth. Ouch! (in a good way) I was very glad to hear that Kelli’s into foam rolling now and I hope they will make some videos with it.

Okay, I think that’s more than enough! Sorry for the length :D I’m not asking you to fill in the entire “survey” (unless you’d like to), just tossing around some questions and if you’d care to share your views on any of them, even just one of them, I’d appreciate it. Thanks for letting me pick your brains!

Cheers!