The Truth About Thigh Gaps - The Myth About How to Get A Thigh Gap

From one of our inner thigh workout videos:
"The question that always gets asked; Can you tell me how to get an inner thigh gap? Are these inner thigh gap exercises?

Here’s my take on this one; it might not be what you are looking for/hoping to hear, but it’s the truth.

An inner thigh gap is often seen on very lean individuals, but it also has something to do with the width of your hips compared to the length of your femoral head. In the case of the latter, there’s not a whole lot that you can do to change how far apart your thighs are from one another (it has to do with bone structure).

Not everyone who has that space between their thighs is unhealthily thin and many people’s bodies have it naturally and they don’t think twice about it.

With that said, there is a strong association with disordered thinking (eating disorders, body dysmorphia, etc) and striving for a thigh gap. The short and sweet of my opinion on this matter is that there is absolutely no health benefit from having a thigh gap, so it is not a fitness goal that you benefit from setting your sights on. It doesn’t make you stronger. It doesn’t make your heart beat more powerfully, it doesn’t make you run faster, and it doesn’t make you healthier. There’s nothing wrong with wanting to tone up the inner thighs, and the exercises in the video above work, but if I could convince just one Fitness Blender viewer to switch their focus from this meaningless, empty goal that breeds potentially detrimental thoughts, to one that is more focused on a strong and healthy body, then this was a rant worth ranting."

A question and topic we often encounter is how to get a thigh gap. We're hoping to clear up some of the misinformation out there and maybe even encourage you to refocus on a fitness goal more oriented towards health.

Here's why.

A thigh gap largely has to do with your bone structure; something you cannot change. To try and diet and exercise your way to a thigh gap is completely unrealistic and any trainer that tells you otherwise is either wildly uneducated on the subject of fitness and the human body, or just telling you what they think you want to hear.

There's nothing wrong with having a thigh gap. There is, however, something wrong with over exercising, ruthlessly dieting to the point of being malnourished, and generally making yourself mentally and physically unhealthy in effort to reach a goal that is literally not possible for your body.

Here's what we want you to take away from our rant; for the love of all things good health, set and pursue fitness goals that improve the health of your body and your quality of live - not empty goals that are at best unattainable and diminishing of your wellbeing.

Push yourself towards fitness goals that make you feel strong, vibrant, happy and healthy, and I guarantee that you're going to like the changes you see in your body and mindset.

Comments

COHikerGirl84

04/19/16 7:23am

Thank you for posting this! I refuse to be on Facebook or social media, so I honestly didn't know "thigh gap" was even such a sensation! I googled it, and was HORRIFIED with the pictures that came up! "This, not THIS", and "thigh gap workout", and "If only I had this thigh gap". Are you kidding me?! Thank you for dispelling this myth. I am petite, and my thighs will never have a gap due to my bones, like you said! It angers me that people are made to feel ashamed of their bodies for something completely beyond their control. Social media can be so detrimental to self-confidence if you don't see how ridiculous it is. It truly worries me for young girls especially who are growing up being bombarded with these images!

Analicia

04/13/16 12:21am

I'm so happy that you're dispelling this myth of the thigh gap, it's an unrealistic goal for anyone to strive for, especially since it's something that occurs depending on the width of your hips. Some people have the naturally, some people don't.

I've always had a bit of a thigh gap, even when I was heavier, but it's gotten even more pronounced since I started working out. It's honestly never been a big deal for me, I'm way happier that my thighs are looking so strong and toned.

Ktta

03/16/16 5:52am

Thank you for posting things like this! I am a naturally slim person (size 2) and I do not have a thigh gap. The only way for me to get one would be to starve myself (literally) which I am not going to do. The thigh gap is quite frankly a ridiculous goal to shoot for. If you are motivated by aesthetics then find something more realistic!

inthemaking

02/22/16 7:55am

yes! thank you! Finally real fitness experts who talk about the truth rather than a fabricated lie!

01/31/16 1:45am

Thank you for these videos, for encouraging people to be skeptics and fight ignorance. I really appreciate the global approach you have to fitness, and that's why I enjoy working out with you here so much. Thank you for taking the time to spread this healthy vision of being human!

robyninspace

12/23/15 9:15pm

Videos like this are part of why I love your site so much. Your commitment to dispelling these myths and encouraging REAL health over absurdities like "thigh gaps" is admirable. Wish there were more like you!

kb1234

10/27/15 10:40am

The truth is that thigh gaps have as much to do with being fit and being "skinny" as the size and shape of our noses have to do with it.

I'm what most people deem as "very skinny" and I've never had a thigh gap nor do I want one ( sorry, it looks a little odd to me). And yet I've seen many women, most of whom society would deem "overweight", have thigh gaps.

Thigh gaps truly are a result of genetics and have absolutely zero to do with being fit, healthy and dare we say, "Skinny"!!

07/26/15 4:05am

Marie83

07/25/15 3:36pm

This is true. I wear a size 12/14 jeans, and even I have a bit of a thigh gap. It's because my hipbones are so wide. That's also the reason I have to be really careful running, because the angle of my knees tends to almost pull them out of joint.

Galamon

06/11/15 7:35pm

Great information, thanks for share

Best 3 weeks diet - http://tinyurl.com/okefqxr

briannam1998

03/28/15 5:54pm

Thank you so much for this video. Today, I was going through videos on Youtube and came across a video by Freelee the banana girl and it was titles "can any woman have a thigh gap" and goes on to talk about how unnatural it is to have your thighs touching and if you're healthy, every woman of every body type should have a thigh gap. I was extremely confused because some of my very fit, healthy friends don't have one. Thank you guys for clearing this up for me!

Hannah

03/25/15 10:17am

Thank you for all your knowledge! Your workouts videos are incredible and effective! Kelly, you are such an inspiration for me! The work you both do for all fitness lovers is admirable!

Kimmikim08

02/22/15 9:09am

Well said! I can't believe this is a real thing! I have naturally wide hips and always have thigh gap regardless of how toned my legs are. I never gave a second thought about it being something so desirable.

chloe82

08/07/14 2:07pm

You two are seriously the best. I love your personalities and your workouts. Also, I'm pretty sure you are the cutest couple ever invented. I'm so grateful for what you do (and for free?!). Keep up the great work!