- Meal Type: Breakfast
- Dietary Type: Omnivore
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serves: 4
Dietary Type: Omnivore
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
These egg bites are a delicious and nutritious way to start your day. Grated sweet potatoes serve as the base of these bites, seasoned with a little fresh grated onion. Whisked and seasoned eggs are added to the par-baked sweet potatoes before being topped with shredded cheddar and asparagus spears. You’re going to love this recipe!
Hacking this Recipe: This recipe makes 8 egg bites, with 2 egg bites per serving. Feel free to make and bake these bites ahead of time, cool completely and individually wrap. They can be stored in the refrigerator (for a maximum of 4 days) and reheated (oven or microwave). Or, store your bites in the freezer; then put them in the refrigerator the night before to thaw, and reheat in the morning. Frozen eggs bites will keep for 1-2 months.
Did you know that with FB Plus you have access to additional recipes and the ability to filter by multiple critera, including prep/cook time, servings, meal type, dietary type, etc.?
2 cups (225 g) sweet potatoes, peeled and grated
1/4 cup (50 g) yellow onion, peeled and grated
pan release spray
8 large eggs (~400 g), beaten
1/4 teaspoon (.5 g) garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon (.5 g) black pepper
1/2 teaspoon (2 g) salt
1/4 cup (30 g) shredded cheddar
3/4 cup (35 g) asparagus tips
- Preheat oven to 350°F or 176°C and moderately grease a muffin pan with pan release spray (making sure to cover completely).
- In a medium bowl, combine the grated sweet potato and onion, toss to combine. Place the potato mixture into the center of a clean kitchen towel, bring the edges of the towel together, and squeeze as much moisture out of the potatoes as possible.
- Divide the sweet potato mixture evenly between the individual muffin molds (8 in total). Using your fingers or the back of a spoon, press the potatoes firmly into the bottom and sides of the mold.
- Place the muffin pan in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine eggs, garlic, black pepper, and salt in another medium bowl and whisk until blended.
- Once the sweet potatoes have baked, remove the muffin pan from the oven. Divide the eggs evenly between the muffin molds using a ladle or spoon, filling each mold just to the top. Sprinkle each with cheese and top with asparagus tips.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the eggs are thoroughly cooked. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Using a butter knife, go around the edges of each egg bite to help release them from the muffin mold. Carefully lift the egg bites from the pan and serve.
Vegetarian and Vegan Modifications: Try vegan egg and vegan cheese alternatives.
Gluten-Free Modifications: Dish is naturally gluten-free.