Strength Training or Cardio First - Fasted Cardio - How to Break a Weight Loss Plateau

We covered multiple topics and common questions in this video - everything from the order of your training types during a workout, to the currently popular topic of fasted cardio. Below is a quick breakdown of additional information of each. While you're here, let us know; do you like our longer vlogs? Do you prefer when we cover multiple or single questions? Speak up, we listen!

Should you do strength training or cardio first during a workout?
The long and short answer; do whichever training style you are most focused on improving first. If you're looking to boost how far and fast you can run or push yourself with cardio, do your cardio before your strength training. If you are trying to improve your strength, muscle tone, and/or gain size, you will want to do your strength session first.

There are currently no/few significant and sound studies that suggest that doing one before the other is better or worse for fat loss, however, the one that you give your full-blown, fresh effort to is the one that will see the most improvements over time. We recommend sometimes mixing things up so that you switch off from how you normally order things, in order to produce well rounded fitness (i.e. strength and good cardiovascular health, with neither being drastically weaker or underdeveloped than the other).

Avoiding or breaking a weight loss plateau
One of the little talked about ways to avoid or break a weight loss plateau is to apply the suggestion above; mix up your training style. If you usually do your cardio first and you've stopped seeing the results you want, try switching it up so that your strength training comes first (if you aren't already including strength training, that may be one of the biggest reasons why you've hit that plateau in the first place). Mix things up, and don't be afraid of a little trial and error with your workout plans; something different works for everyone and sometimes even those slight modifications and variations can make a big difference. Another way to break or avoid a plateau is to step away from your hour long steady state treadmill and/or elliptical sessions and replace them with HIIT workouts (if you haven't already). We have hundreds of free HIIT workout videos to choose from.

Fasted cardio - does fasted cardio work?
A fitness trend that we've been getting a lot of questions about is fasted cardio. While it may be a great way to start off your day, we don't believe that it's the wonder solution that some people make it out to be. For one, the supposed premise is that it's almost exclusively geared towards fat or weight loss (boring!), not fitness or health. Working out with little or no fuel to pull from is the least effective way to become more fit (increasing endurance, strength, speed, etc). Additionally, without any fuel, the workouts are likely to be short (which isn't entirely a bad thing but in some cases, workouts that take up less than 15 minutes are not enough to see results or keep a healthy heart) and because you're working on an empty stomach, you likely wont be able to push yourself as hard. Plus, even if it did work the way people claim, it's a short term solution. You're not boosting your metabolism long term the way you do with a workout where you are well feed and really pushing yourself long enough and hard enough to break down and rebuild muscle. It's not a bad occasional addition to a workout program, but it's also not such a powerful or valid solution that we would recommend it as a sustainable plan.

Have a question you want answered in a video? Leave it in the comment section below.

PS: Subscribe to us on YouTube or Follow us on Facebook to get alerts for new workout videos as they come out!

Comments

AviG

12/17/16 11:13am

Wondering if coffee commenters noticed that the get a lot of liquids out about 20-30 minutes after drinking it that is loss of liquids no help there

happydoes

07/08/16 7:49am

When doing a full body ST routine, is it best to begin with upper, core, or lower body, or does it even matter?

tinasfon

04/02/16 2:16pm

I never have time to eat before a morning workout. And I have one of those stomachs where if I eat a little, I get cramps while working out. I usually take a sip of coffee and then start working out. Should I keep doing what I'm doing, or should I try to find a way to eat before? I haven't seen any weight loss, but have definitely seen a lot of muscle gain and tone!

laurenc9

02/23/16 7:54am

Can you guys do a video about macronutrients and how we can ensure that we are getting what we need in our diets?

Thanks! Love everything you guys do!

nancyz1

01/19/16 4:08pm

I have been diagnosed as being pre diabetic. I have been told to limit my carbs to no more than 50 grams per day. What do you suggest I do regarding carbs with working out everyday?

07/26/15 4:05am

07/24/15 4:22am

I've been on FBfit for almost five weeks now. I'm not in it for just weightloss, but to be honest I was hoping I'd lose some of the extra fat/kilos I've gained during the past couple of years (just to feel comfortable in my clothes again). But I haven't lost kilos or inches (I've visibly gained muscle though). I might even have gone up about a kilogram.

I'm not overweight, but I used to be much more active, (and about 7-10 kg lighter) before my working schedules etc. interfered with my oppotunities to go to my dance classes etc.

My problem has also been that I've "forgotten" to eat, meaning sometimes I could go the whole day (after breakfast) without eating. When I've been working alone at home, I just didn't feel motivated to take a break to cook only for myself. Now that I workout regularly I remember to eat (=get hungry), but still eat only about 3-4 times a day (in total, breakfast and snacks included). We eat quite clean and I've cut back on the sugary foods. My spouse is a vegetarian, so I rarely eat meat.

What should I do? Have I permanently messed up my metabolism? :(

I found this article interesting (eventhough not very encouraging): http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/11/12/exercising-but-gaining-weight/?_r=0

Devon2015

06/30/15 7:07am

Kelli & Daniel- I love all of your workouts and question/answer videos, you both are amazing! I just watched this video and also your video on before & after workout food. I like waking up and doing my workout right away, literally rolling out of bed, putting on my workout gear, and doing your workout videos! Is this something I should consider changing and adding a snack in before my workout? I always make sure I get in a good, healthy breakfast post workout!

Galamon

06/11/15 7:34pm

Great information, thanks for share

Best 3 weeks diet - http://tinyurl.com/okefqxr

gabywithoneb

05/28/15 6:22am

I agree SarahZ and anna.jackson.31392. I like to get my workout in before my body knows whats going on, which is usually about 5 minutes after I wake up. I am not hungry then at all. I usually work out 45 min to an hr and feel fine. I try to eat after, but its usually a light snack until I can get my daily oatmeal. Ive lost 20lbs in the last two months and I can feel and see the changes in my body. I love Fitnessblender and tell anyone and everyone about it!

gak

05/26/15 8:53pm

You guys are the best!!!!

SarahZ

01/28/15 2:13pm

Hi guys, I love the information in this vlog. I would like though, if they were split up into slightly shorter sections, maybe 10 minutes. I actually planned to watch only the first section but I'm so glad I watched the rest. I had to bookmark it though and come back another time because it was so long.
Quick question- like another commenter, I have been working out in the morning before I eat for years. It's just been my routine, nothing to do with fasted cardio. Should I try and change my schedule? Even before breakfast, I usually work out about 45 minutes and feel great.
Thanks so much for the great information and awesome workouts!

anna.jackson.31392

01/27/15 7:04pm

I wake up at 5am, drink some water and work out. I am not hungry right then and don't want to feel weighed down by food. After the work out I am famished and ready to eat! Is that ok to do?

Famazing1

01/19/15 10:33am

Thank you for being so real and teaching people what the fitness industry doesn't.

xadriwerewolf.alxox

05/25/14 9:37am

have acup af coffee before you start