- Meal Type: Lunch, Dinner
- Dietary Type: Vegetarian
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serves: 4
Meal: Lunch or Dinner
Dietary Type: Vegetarian
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
A veggie-packed bowl loaded with delicious flavors and seasonal cold-weather produce. Beets and butternut squash are roasted in a quick olive oil-orange marinade then topped over quinoa. Accompanied by kale, avocado, dried cranberries, dried apricots, and a nice little drizzle of yogurt seasoned with honey…yum!
Hacking this Recipe: Just about every piece and part of this recipe can be prepped ahead for easy assembly. The beets and butternut squash can be roasted ahead of time and chilled in the refrigerator (for a cold bowl vs. a hot bowl). Same goes for the quinoa, cooked ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to eat. The honey yogurt is a fan favorite, make in bulk to use for this recipe or as a dip for your favorite fruit.
Do you have any pro tips for modifications to this recipe? If so, let us know in the comments below, or on the Community page. Have a question for the chef? You can also ask that here!
1/2 cup (60 ml) orange juice
2 tablespoons (30 ml) extra virgin olive oil
2 each (10 g) garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1/2 teaspoon (1 g) salt
1/4 teaspoon (.25 g) black pepper
Veggies and Quinoa:
1/2 each (500 g) butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes
1 each (300 g) beet, peeled and cut into cubes
2 cups (500 ml) vegetable broth
1 cup (170 g) quinoa
1/2 cup (150 g) plain low-fat yogurt
2 tablespoons (30 ml) honey
2 cups (80 g) kale, chopped and thick stems removed
1 each (150 g) avocado, peeled and sliced
1/4 cup (30 g) dried cranberries
1/4 cup (40 g) dried apricots, diced
1/4 cup (5 g) fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F or 200°C.
- In a medium bowl, combine orange juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Whisk to combine the marinade. Add butternut squash and beets to the bowl and toss to coat.
- Place squash and beets on a baking sheet pan and place in the oven. Roast for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- While the veggies are roasting, place broth and quinoa in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until quinoa is tender. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Combine yogurt and honey in a small bowl and whisk to combine the drizzle. Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- To serve, divide quinoa, beets, and squash between bowls. Top with kale, avocado, cranberries, and apricots. Drizzle with honey yogurt and sprinkle with herbs.
Vegetarian and Vegan Modifications: Substitute the yogurt in this recipe for your favorite vegan option, substituting agave for the honey as well.
Gluten-Free Modifications: N/A