- Category: Fitness
- Read Time: 3 Minutes
There are hundreds of pieces of equipment out there that supply some kind of weight for you to lift including dumbbells, kettlebells, barbells, medicine balls, and many more. However, all of these forms of weight have one thing in common; they are all dead weight. What is dead weight? Dead weight is just that: dead. It doesn’t move, change shape, or shift its center of gravity. That is why slosh tube training, or a workout using slosh pipe exercises, is so unique.
Check out our free, full length 28 Minute Workout Video using a slosh pipe
A slosh tube is a tube capped on each end and filled only partially full of water. The water is what gives the tube the weight and is the part that makes the equipment challenging- because it is not completely full the water is allowed to flow through the tube in whichever direction gravity takes it. This does not sound that impressive until you realize that when holding a slosh tube, even a slight dip of one end causes the water to rush to that end of the pipe, giving you an incredibly unstable and dynamic exercise tool.
You currently can’t buy these in any stores, but they are cheap and easy to build; here's how to make a slosh pipe.
Materials you will need:
- 1 PVC Pipe that is 6 to 10 feet long and 3 to 4 inches in diameter
- 2 Rubber PVC Pipe Caps that will fit the diameter you choose (3" Cap,4" Cap)
- Flathead screwdriver or nut driver that fits the nut on the cap (Usually 5/16 Inch Nut Driver)
- PVC Pipe Saw or other fine tooth saw.
- Duct Tape (optional)
1. Gather your materials; all of these materials can be found in the plumbing section of your local big box home improvement store. When selecting your tube diameter and length it is important to note that the longer it is, the more unstable it will be. Also consider that the larger the diameter, the harder it will be to handle.
2. Cut your PVC Pipe to the desired length- you may be able to get someone at the store to do this for you so that you don’t have to buy a saw if you don’t already have one. Once you have the pipe put a cap on one end and tighten it down well. You may need to roughen up the inside of the cap with sandpaper to enable it to get a better grip. The last thing you want is a cap blowing off of water filled pipe inside your house during your workout routine.
3. With one cap secured, fill the tube with the desired weight of water but be sure not to fill it any more than 3/4 full (preferably only half full so that the water has room to move around in the slosh pipe). Any more than 75% full and the water will not be able to move enough.
4. Affix the other cap and you are done. If you want you can cover the metal clamps on the cap with duct tape to provide a little more safety and prevent snagging.