Dietary Type: Omnivore
Prep Time: 20-25 minutes
Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
Serves: 2 portions
Sheet pans are one of the best tools out there for making a healthy meal with minimal effort. In this recipe, salmon is glazed with a quick honey-mustard dressing, then combined with roasted root vegetables, to create a delicious one-pan dinner that utilizes the sheet pan’s efficiency in the kitchen.
Simply prepare the vegetables, allow them to cook a few minutes in the oven while you prep the salmon—then throw it all back in to bake for a few more minutes—and voila! Dinner is served.
You can use any combination of vegetables that you like here—carrots, parsnips, beets, onion, potatoes are just a few of the possibilities. It is important to note, however, that the vegetables should all be chopped to the same thickness, or they won’t cook properly. Also be very careful not to overcook the salmon. Bake it just until it’s opaque, and flakes easily with a fork, for the best flavor and texture.
2 6-oz (~170 g each) skin-on salmon filets
1 tbsp (15 g) Dijon mustard
1 tbsp (21 g) honey
¼ tsp (~1 g) kosher salt
¼ tsp (~1 g) ground black pepper
2 medium carrots, peeled, and cut into ¼-inch (~0.64 cm) rounds
1 large parsnip, peeled, and cut into ¼-inch (~0.64 cm) rounds
1 large russet potato, scrubbed well, and cut into ¼-inch (~0.64 cm) pieces
2 medium beets, peeled, and cut into ¼-inch (~0.64 cm) pieces
1 medium onion, sliced into ¼-inch (~0.64 cm) thick slices
2 tbsps (~30 g) olive oil
½ tsp (~2.1 g) kosher salt, or to taste
¼ tsp (~1 g) ground black pepper, or to taste
1 small bunch fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine chopped carrots, parsnip, potato, beets, and onion. Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with ½ tsp kosher salt and ¼ tsp black pepper. Toss until vegetables are evenly coated. Place onto prepared baking sheet in an even layer. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until vegetables just begin to soften.
- While vegetables are cooking, prepare glaze for salmon. In a small bowl, combine Dijon, honey, ¼ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp black pepper. Mix well.
- Remove baking sheet from the oven. Gently move the veggies to each side of the pan to make space in the middle of the pan for the salmon. Carefully place salmon filets, skin-side down, into the middle of the baking sheet. Divide honey mustard mixture evenly over the top of both filets. Place pan back into the oven, and cook until salmon is opaque and flakes easily with a fork, about 12-15 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven, and immediately sprinkle fresh chopped parsley over the top of the salmon and vegetables, if desired. Serve immediately.