- Meal Type: Dinner
- Dietary Type: Omnivore
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serves: 4
Dietary Type: Omnivore
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
A veggie-forward, one-pan meal. Turkey meatballs are lightly seasoned and seared before being joined by halved Brussels sprouts and apples. A tangy honey glaze (consisting of red wine vinegar, olive oil, and honey) is drizzled first over the entire skillet. Then, later on in the cooking process, drizzled over the meatballs, creating a deliciously sticky glaze. We tend to love a more tart apple for this recipe, which helps create balance amongst the flavors. Pick from Granny Smith, McIntosh, Gala, or Fuji apples for the best result.
1 lb. (453 g) ground turkey
1 teaspoon (2 g) garlic powder
1/4 cup (40 g) onion, peeled and minced
1/2 teaspoon (1 g) chili powder
1/2 teaspoon (2 g) salt
pinch of black pepper
2 tablespoons (30 ml) extra virgin olive oil
1 lb. (500 g) brussel sprouts, halved
2 each (340 g) apples, cored and diced
1/2 cup (118 ml) honey
3 tablespoons (45 ml) extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons (30 ml) red wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°F or 175°C.
- In a medium bowl, place ground turkey, garlic, onion, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Using your hands, combine the mix until blended. Portion mix into 12 even meatballs.
- Heat oil in a large oven-proof skillet over medium high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the meatballs and sear for 1-2 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Remove meatballs from the skillet and set aside on a plate.
- Add Brussels sprouts and apples to the skillet, toss to combine, and remove from the heat. Nestle seared meatballs on top of the Brussels sprouts and apples, set the skillet aside.
- In a small bowl, combine honey, olive oil, and vinegar, whisk until blended. Drizzle half of the honey glaze over the entire skillet and place in the oven.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes or until the sprouts are tender and the meatballs are cooked through. Remove the skillet from the oven and increase oven temperature to broil.
- Drizzle remaining honey glaze over the meatballs and return to the oven. Broil for 2-3 minutes or until sprouts, apples, and meatballs have caramelized slightly. Remove from the oven.
- Divide meatballs, Brussels sprouts, and apples between plates.
Vegetarian and Vegan Modifications: Feel free to substitute a vegan meat alternative for the turkey in this recipe. Agave can be used in place of the honey as well.
Gluten-Free Modifications: N/A. No gluten in this recipe.