Meal: Lunch, Dinner
Dietary Type: Vegan, Vegetarian
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Warm up with this recipe for hearty, healthy 3-Bean Chili. It’s packed with plant-based protein, fiber, and a punch of flavor. With a mix of black beans, kidney beans, and chickpeas, it will convince even meat lovers that vegetarian or vegan food can be tasty and filling!
This pantry-staple recipe is an easy make-ahead meal, perfect for storing the freezer for when life gets in the way of making a healthy meal. The best part? This recipe is as easy as opening cans and measuring a few simple ingredients. Serve with a simple salad, cornbread, or your favorite vegetable for a delicious, plant-based meal!
1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
1 medium (110 g) white onion, chopped
1 tbsp (8 g) chili powder
2 tsp (~4.6 g) paprika
1 tsp (~1.7 g) coriander, ground
1 tsp (~5 g) cumin, ground
½ tsp (~0.5 g) oregano
¼ tsp (~0.6 g) red chili flakes
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp (16 g) tomato paste
2 1/2 cups (600 ml) water
1 (5 g) vegetable bouillon cube, low sodium
2, 14.5 oz (411 g) cans diced tomatoes, no salt added
1 cup (165 g) frozen corn
15oz (425 g) can chickpeas, drained, no salt added
15oz (425 g) can red kidney beans, drained, no salt added
15oz (425 g) can black beans, drained, no salt added
1 tbsp (5 g) cocoa powder, unsweetened
1 lime, juiced
2 tbsp (2 g) chopped cilantro
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onion, cooking for 5-7 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the chili powder, paprika, cumin, coriander, oregano, chili flakes, garlic, and tomato paste. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Pour in the water, bouillon cube, tomatoes, corn, and beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in the cocoa powder. Season with salt and pepper, as needed.
- Serve with lime juice and cilantro.
Vegetarian and Vegan Modifications: Amazingly vegan as is!
Gluten-Free Modifications: Naturally gluten-free too.
- This recipe is perfect for freezing for meal prep.
- For more protein, add Greek yogurt and cheddar cheese to garnish (or vegan alternatives).
- If using salt-containing canned beans, rinse them under cold water for 30 seconds before adding, and adjust salt as needed.
Did you know that with FB Plus, we have additional search/filter options for recipes AND the ability to "favorite" the recipes you like the most? You can check out everything FB Plus has to offer with a 7-day free trial.