- Meal Type: Lunch, Dinner
- Dietary Type: Vegetarian, Vegan
Meal: Lunch, Dinner
Dietary Type: Vegan, Vegetarian
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
It may sound exotic, but this meal prep-worthy Tempeh Burrito Bowl is perfect for mid-week lunches (or other meals), and can be customized based on what you have on hand. Oh, and it is absolutely delicious!
Native to Indonesia, tempeh is a high protein soy product made of fermented soybeans. It is often found in the vegetarian section of your grocery store alongside tofu. It has a hearty texture and is full of flavor. In this recipe, it’s simply roasted, but it is delicious crumbled into tacos or meatless pasta sauces too. Can’t find tempeh? Try extra firm tofu instead!
This recipe might seem "exotic" to you, but give it a try. We think you'll like it. And, as always, let us know what other kinds of Healthy Recipes you’d like to see. We're always listening and our recipe creators are a creative bunch!
1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
1 (~200 g) block tempeh, cubed
½ tsp (~1.5 g) chili powder
½ tsp (~1.5 g) paprika
¼ tsp (~0.75 g) coriander, ground
¼ tsp (~0.75 g) cumin, ground
½ small (35 g) red onion, sliced
1 medium (120 g) bell pepper, chopped
½ cup (90 g) brown rice, rinsed
1 cup (240 ml) water
2 cups (95 g) shredded lettuce
6-8 (120 g) cherry tomatoes, halved
2 tbsp (30 ml) salsa
¼ cup (45 g) black beans
1 lime, cut into wedges
½ (70 g) avocado, slices
2 tbsp (2 g) chopped cilantro
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425° F/220°C
- Combine the olive oil, tempeh, chili powder, paprika, coriander, cumin, onion, and bell pepper. Bake for 20-20 minutes or until golden.
- Meanwhile, make the rice. Combine rice, water, and a pinch of salt in a pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and let cook for 15-20 minutes, or until fluffy.
- Divide the tempeh, vegetables, rice, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, and beans into two bowls.
- Serve with lime wedges and top with avocado and cilantro (or spice it up with some jalapeños.
Vegetarian and Vegan Modifications: Amazingly vegan as is!
Gluten-Free Modifications: Naturally gluten-free too.
- This recipe is perfect for meal prep, simplly stack it into your to-go container.
- For more protein, add Greek yogurt and cheddar cheese to garnish.
- For you omnivores out there, use chopped chicken in place of tempeh for a meat-version of this recipe.