- Meal Type: Lunch, Dinner
- Dietary Type: Vegetarian
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serves: 4
Meal: Lunch or Dinner
Dietary Type: Vegetarian
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
The perfect solution for a quick dinner fix. These crispy, cheesy stacks of Black Bean and Sweet Potato Quesadillas are easy to make, affordable, and so delicious. A wonderful vegetarian meal alternative that even the most staunch meat-lovers will enjoy. These quesadillas are further elevated by a homemade salsa, a tasty combination of charred tomatoes, red onion, jalapeño, and cilantro.
Hacking this Recipe: The salsa is a fan favorite, easily made a day or two in advance and refrigerated until ready to serve. We often double the batch to use for a week-long snack or side for other Mexican-themed meals.
2 each (350 g) tomatoes, cut into quarters
1/2 each (125 g) red onion, peeled and sliced
1 each (25 g) jalapeño, halved and seeds removed
2 teaspoons (10 ml) extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon (15 ml) lime juice
1/4 cup (4 g) fresh cilantro, chopped
salt to taste
1 lb. (450 g) sweet potatoes, peeled and medium dice
1/2 teaspoon (2 g) salt
1 teaspoon (2 g) ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon (1 g) chili powder
1/2 teaspoon (1 g) onion powder
1/2 teaspoon (1 g) garlic powder
2 tablespoons (30 ml) extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 can (15 oz or 425 g) black beans, drained and rinsed
4 each (300 g) large flour tortillas
1 cup (80 g) shredded cheddar or Monterey jack cheese
- Preheat oven to broil on high.
- Arrange tomatoes, onion, and jalapeño on a baking sheet and drizzle with oil. Broil for 5-8 minutes or until the vegetables are charred and tender. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly.
- Once the salsa ingredients have cooled, roughly chop and place in a medium bowl. Add lime juice and cilantro, stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Preheat oven to 400°F or 200°C.
- Place sweet potatoes in a large bowl and season with salt, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, and garlic powder. Toss to coat and drizzle with 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of olive oil.
- Transfer seasoned potatoes to a baking sheet and spread out in an even layer. Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove from the oven, let cool slightly and then return to the bowl.
- Add black beans to the bowl with the sweet potatoes and toss to combine.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, drizzle with 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of olive oil.
- Place one tortilla in the hot skillet and top one side with 1/4 cup (20g) cheese and a heaping 3/4 cup (about 95 g) of the sweet potato-black bean mix, spread evenly on the tortilla half.
- Fold the un-topped side over the filling and toast the quesadillas for 2-3 minutes, flipping halfway through, until the outsides are crisp and the cheese has melted. Remove from the skillet and repeat steps for the remaining 3 tortillas.
- Cut quesadillas into quarters and serve with prepared salsa.
Vegetarian and Vegan Modifications: Feel free to use your favorite vegan cheese as a substitution for the cheddar in this recipe.
Gluten-Free Modifications: Gluten-free tortillas work pretty well in this recipe. You may want to soften them slightly (cover in a kitchen towel or paper towel and warm in the microwave, about 10-15 seconds) to keep them from drying out while crisping in the skillet.
Did you know that with FB Plus, we have additional search/filter options for recipes AND the ability to "favorite" the recipes you like the most? You can check out everything FB Plus has to offer with a 7-day free trial.