Posted in: Workouts / New Releases

New Video—Stabilization Routine for Diastasis Recti (Part 2)

Hello, FB family!

Today’s video is an extension of the first workout for Diastasis Recti that we published earlier this summer. Many of you were so excited to see this, so we had to return with a sequel.

Stabilization Routine for Diastasis Recti

In this workout, you’ll begin with some gentle activations on your mat, including a reintroduction to side planks and isometric exercises for your obliques. For those of you who are unfamiliar with isometric exercises, they are an excellent starting point for any strength routine. Isometrics are often used in rehabilitation programs due to their gentle yet effective nature, and these movements should not cause undue stress or pain.

Then, the workout advances to include several plank progressions on your hands and knees. Like we discussed in the previous DR video, completing exercises in this position adds another element to the workout: gravity. The gravitational pull on your internal organs, your pelvic floor, and abdominals can make for a challenging workout, so don’t underestimate how it can affect you. If you’re comfortable with this position, intensify these progressions by adding reps, incorporating an adductor isometric, or practicing on a stability ball.

In the spirit of being fully transparent, I have a confession to make about the filming of this workout. I was having a “Bad Body Day” and felt sluggish, slow, and weak. I powered through most of it, but noticed my enthusiasm and form failing towards the end of the video, which is the reason why I wanted to share this behind-the-scenes detail. I am a firm believer in the phrase, “something is better than nothing,” but recovery from something as traumatic as childbirth or surgery is not always a pretty, well-defined, linear process. Sometimes, “Bad Body Days” are an indication to slow down, evaluate how you feel, and assess if working out is healthy for you at that moment. If the answer is, “no,” then it’s absolutely okay to hold off on your workout. Or, try working through a restorative yoga flow and stretching routine instead.

Body image is often the elephant in the room, and its presence is strongly felt by all mothers during recovery from childbirth. But, although the external factors that impact body image are strong, it is possible to alter our perception of ourselves. Learn more about the relationship between body image, mental and physical health, and our belief systems through our newly published Expert articles, Building Blocks of Body Image - How We Learn About Beauty and the Cost of Poor Body Image and Befriending Your Body - Overcoming Poor Body Image.

As always, thank you for joining me on this DR journey. I look forward to working out with you again soon.

-Kayla